Thursday, January 24, 2013

Goodbye 30 Rock: A Look at Seven Great Seasons with 7 Great Guest Stars

In one week from tonight they shut out the lights  at studio 6H, and 30 Rock will go off the air for good.  While the show has past its prime, this is one of the most brilliant shows to grace the television landscape, and will be missed.  From Liz and her "Blurgh" moments to Jack channeling Tracey's father and assortment of his neighbors.  This modern Mary/Mr. Grant pairings is on of the best. In honor of the shows last week I will be paying tribute to the shows best guests, episodes, best cast moments, and much more!

While 30 Rock often became a rotation of special guest stars, and sometimes they cluttered up the screen, they were still one of the most important parts of the shows history.  Many of the best were those who played a significant role throughout the shows years, while there were one or two who only showed up once and left us laughing forever.  Here are the best guest stars:

Elaine Stritch as Colleen Donaghey

That ole broad Elaine Stritch has always made me laugh, but her stint as Jack's mom is probably one of the funniest she has ever had.  Her folksy racism mixed with her biting hatred of everything may be the reason Jack ended up the way he is, and I do not know whether to thank her, for the laughter of course, or be scarred.

Best Quote:"Tell him his mother's here. An' she loves him. But not in a queer way."



Will Arnett as Devon Banks

Jack's gay counterpart who is always at odds with him is one of my favorite guest stars, and Arnett plays Devon fabulously.  Devon has showed up multiple times throughout the year and whether there is homoerotic banter with Jack or him making fun of Liz for her manly qualities you can never go wrong with Devon.

Best Quote: "After the election, I could have had any ambassadorship that I wanted. Even to the world's gayest country: Ireland."



Dean Winters as Dennis Duffy

Liz's first boyfriend on the show, Dennis the beeper king is the polar opposite of who you would expect her to be with, and that's one of the best parts about this character.  Whether he is the subway hero, or causing a rift between Liz and Jenna, Winters was always one of the most fun guest actors on the show.

Best Quote “I was helicoptering into Zimbabwe when I thought I saw someone I knew. So I waved from the helicopter, which it turns out is a big no-no. So the rotor took my right hand clean off. And it turns out the person I was waving to was not my old football coach.”

Jon Hamm as Dr. Drew Baird


Liz found Dr. Drew (different one) threw getting his mail by mistake.  This doctor with perfect looks see Liz on the toilet, and deals with her accidentally roofying him, but still dates her.  The good doctor seemed to be the perfect man, but spent most of his time in the "bubble" of good looks. Who knew Don Draper was so funny, Tina Fey did.

Best Quote “I was helicoptering into Zimbabwe when I thought I saw someone I knew. So I waved from the helicopter, which it turns out is a big no-no. So the rotor took my right hand clean off. And it turns out the person I was waving to was not my old football coach.”



Sherri Shepherd as Angie Jordan

Tracey's wife Angie did not show up until later in the show (in the version of Ms. Shepherd) but that Queen of Jordan is one of the funniest recurring guest stars.  Angie's real housewives like show Queen of Jordan is one of the funniest episodes in the later years of the shows history, and she proves she is one funny lady.

Best Quote:  “I need to look good for my party and I refuse to wear anything my size or appropriate for my age.” 

Chris Parnell as Dr. Leo Spaceman

Chris Parnell was one of those recurring guest stars who did not get as much respect as he deserved.  Parnell's Dr. Spacemen was always there to bail out the gang in tricky medical situations helping fake DNA tests, or get Jenna skinny.  Parnell is one under rated straight man, but his comedic timing is off the charts.

Best Quote: “So, what can I help you with? I should start by saying that I can't personally help you conceive. Something happened to me while scuba diving.”


Carrie Fisher as Rosemary Howard

Who better than Liz's writing idol to make this list.  Carrie Fisher's Rosemary was sassy, and pathetic the way you would imagine an older Liz Lemon without Jack.  Fisher is the only person on this list who was only on the show once, but her appearance in the second season was one of the shows most memorable.

Best Quote"You’re just like me. You get up in the morning and smoke weed. You obsess about the Jamaican man across the hall… Help me, Liz Lemon, you’re my only hope!”

Honorable Mentions: Oprah,  John Slattery, Margaret Cho, and Salma Hayek




No comments: