Thursday, June 2, 2011

New York, New York, a helluva town. The Bronx is up but the Battery's down

Well today at 2:30 pm I will  be taking the mega bus to Manhattan, and staying with my friend Keith in Queens, and my friend Lauren in Long Island.  About a year ago this time I worked for the Julliard School, and lived in Manhattan all summer.  I saw ten broadway shows (one per week), hit the club scene, enjoyed some great cupcakes from Magnolia bakery (my favorite), and got to live out my dream.

New York City is home so many amazing films, I can name ten films easily off the top of my head:

nyc.jpg
Taxi Driver
Annie Hall
King Kong
Manhattan
The Godfather Part I and II
Do the Right Thing
Ghostbusters
Saturday Night Fever
When Harry met Sally
The Devil Wears Prada
West Side Story

These are some of the finest films ever made and highlight just how amazing the city of New York.  From crazy Robert DeNiro asking "You talking to me" to Miranda Priestly telling us "That's All" or Sally faking an orgasm in a diner.  Each of the films (and many more) give us intimate portrait of specific aspects of New York City.  Immigration and dancing gang members (West Side Story), hunting ghosts (Ghostbusters), racial tension (Do the Right Thing), the mob (The Godfather I and II), that search for romance (Annie Hall, When Harry met Sally).  These films have used NYC so well, and you almost feel as thought city is character in the film.

New York is the city where dreams come true and for years filmmakers like Woody Allen and Martin Scorsese have used this city as the back drop for some of their greatest works of art.  As I prepare for this trip let me say that I have Frank Sinatra's version of New York on in the background as I start to begin my packing.  I am reminded of that song, and my adventures to the Bronx, and when the Yankees win they play Mr. Sinatra's version of that song.

No comments: