Tuesday, June 21, 2011

First Day of Summer: Let's Celebrate-Wet Hot American Summer Style!

While in Columbus I watched one of my favorite funny movies, EVER!  My friend's and I were having a hard time picking a movie to watch, and it came to me as soon as I saw it on Netflix, Wet Hot American Summer (2001).  This was the perfect movie for my friend, we began our bonding over the film Best in Show, so I knew that this movie would be perfect to watch.

This is probably one of the most under rated funny films in the last ten years.  I am shocked whenever i bring up this movie how few people have seen it.  The film centers around the last of summer camp at Camp Firewood in 1981, and has one of the funniest casts ever with: David Hyde Pierce, Bradley Cooper, Amy Poehler, Molly Shannon, Paul Rudd, Janeane Garofalo, Michael Ian Black, Elizabeth Banks, and Christopher Meloni.

The film focuses on the funny interactions between the camp counselors and the kids, and amongst each other, and how sex, kissing, crafts, and the kid who never showers are constants at a summer camp.  I never did the summer camp thing when I was kid.  I have a friend who is working at summer camp, and I had to wonder how much of this tuff happens.  There is obvious absurd humor and things that are not realistic like a montage of the campus counselors and director in town mugging an old woman, doing drugs, and just going crazy (hilarious).

On the first day of sumer, the weather is just lovely, and well I am inside typing this.  Summer is the time to  be outside and enjoy summer camp, lay by your pool, go to the beach, have a BBQ, and hell wear white before it gets to be labor day, but instead I think everyone should rent or watch this movie instead tonight.

No comments: