Thursday, June 9, 2011

Living at Home in Your Late Twenties Part Seven: No Man is an Island

2002_about_a_boy_006.jpgBeing back in Albany, New York has been interesting for me.  After a great day on Tuesday, filled with many fun times (mini-golfing, swimming, going to a drive-in and cuddling) it has come to my attention that I don't have any friends left who live in this city.  Most of my other time here has been spent watching 30 Rock, sitting by my pool and relaxing (I am not going to complain.  Moving back home has been a lonely experience, because well it is often difficult to just put yourself out there.


Last night,  I watched the film About a Boy (2002) which stars Hugh Grant, Toni Collette, and introduced a young Nicholas Hoult.   The film centers around a man named Will (Grant) and his interactions with an odd single mother, Fiona (Collette) and her son Marcus (Hoult).  The film starts off with the British version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire and the the first question is "Which famous person said No Man is an Island?"  The question is answered seriously by Will with the answer by Bon Jovi (but the audience gets the joke or should) that sets up the story this man is alone, doesn't work, and needs more in his life.  This is my favorite film with Hugh Grant; he is great and has such great acting chemistry with Nicholas Hoult.  Hoult has proven himself to be a great talent, and his starring role in this film has helped him to land terrific roles.

The main point of the film is that "No Man is an Island" and we need people to help us get through the day to day crap that we deal with.  This film has terrific performances, the writing is sharp, and this is a truly solid film.  The message is great, and made me think about how excited I am to move to Boston, and start a new experience.

No comments: