The American Society of Cinematographers (ASC) saw that there was so much great cinematography this year, they decided to nominate seven films. This is the first Guild Award to slight American Hustle, a film nominated at every Guild so far (including costume below). Since this list will only have five nominees at the Oscars, it will be interesting to see which films get left off the list, my guess is The Grandmaster, and either Nebraska or Prisoners. I think the biggest surprise is the snub of Rush, which many are predicting will get an Oscar nomination. I think Rush still has a shot, but without Guild support it could be lost in the shuffle.
• Sean Bobbitt, BSC for 12 Years a Slave
• Barry Ackroyd, BSC for Captain Phillips
• Philippe Le Sourd for The Grandmaster
• Emmanuel Lubezki, ASC, AMC for Gravity
• Bruno Delbonnel, ASC, AFC for Inside Llewyn Davis
• Phedon Papamichael, ASC for Nebraska
• Roger Deakins, ASC, BSC for Prisoners
The Costume Design Guild Award nominations breakdown films, but type, while the Oscars do not. The Oscars are generally dominated by Period, and Fantasy nominees with rare exceptions of contemporary films making the cut in the past like The Devil Wears Prada. I think if you replace Dallas Buyer's Club with Oz: The Great and Powerful those will be the nominees this year, although Her should get into this category, the costumes were fantastic.
Costume Guild Award Nominations