Thursday, May 19, 2011

A Tribute to Working Girl: Getting a Job!



So I may or may not have accepted a new job today.  The first thing that came to my mind was whew, what a relief, the and then for some reason I thought of the movie Working Girl (1988).  This great film directed by Mike Nichols and starring Melanie Griffith, Harrison Ford, Sigourney Weave, and Joan Cusack is all about Melanie Griffiths character Tess is about her taking on a job that belongs to her boss.

There is no parallel between Tess's struggle and my own search for her job, but this movie to me represents that eternal struggle to keep fighting and pursuing a job until you know it is the right fit.  At this moment in my life I think I am making the right decision and working towards my own eternal happiness.  There is so much I want from life, and like Tess I just have to put myself out their and work my not "boney ass."

In this film Tess deals with and ungrateful boss, Catherine (Weaver), and colleague she sleeps with (Ford) and a best friend Cyn (Cusack) who plays a secretary who doesn't have the career aspirations that Tess has.  When you think about these different roles in the film, they represent the struggle that we all face in our working environment.  How do we deal with a superior we don't agree with, should we mix business and pleasure and what consequences do we face with that?  How does friendship affect the positions we have and can building friendships prevent us from our true potential. This film has a lot to do with upward mobility and I hope my next job helps me to learn what I need to be the best professional. In my next job that I have that may or not be starting soon (possibly in Boston)  I hope to be able to work through and with my colleagues.

Watching movies are my escape from the work world and Working Girl has been one of my favorite movies for years, partially because I just relate to the characters, but also because hell maybe I am the eternal working girl!  So as Carly Simon sings at the opening and closing credits to this film, Let the River Run!

No comments: