Sunday, May 8, 2011

Thor Earns a Thunderous Applause

Thor (3 1/2 out of 5 stars)
Directed by: Keneth Branagh (Hamlet, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Gilderoy Lockheart)
Starring: Chris Hemsworth, Anthony Hopkins, Natalie Portman, Tom Hiddleston

"thor movie poster"

Marvel has another comic book hit on their hand.  This film has done a much better job than I expected when the project was announced.  As a comic book fan I was worried how they would make a successful film out of this comic book character.  The film starts by explaining the myth the behind how Thor came to be a hero.  Thor's father Odin (Hopkins) tells his two sons Thor (Hemsworth) and Loki (Hiddleston) about how they came to posses a mythical object from an enemy.  When Thor's arrogance gets the best of his arrogance gets him banished to Earth where he meets scientist Jane Foster (Portman) and Thor begins to learn a few lessons from the earthlings.
The film earns my thunderous applause.  Thor is expertly directed by the Shakespearean director Kenneth Branagh.  The script is not the strongest, but it does weave action and humor well.  The film is visually marvelous weaving the world of Asgard and New Mexico.  While on Earth the film lost its spark, but the Asgardian action was just well done, and I could have spent my whole time in there.  This was also one of the first film in a while where I wore the 3-D glasses and I was not distracted by them, and got lost in the film.  With a sequel I hope the the sharpen the screenplay.
Hemsworth is a newcomer and owns this role.  There are no other actors that could command in the screen; his charisma in terms of both looks and energy are awe inspiring.  it feels like he was born to play this role, and they did a good job getting him to involved with this and The Avengers.  Hemsworth and Portman are magnetic and have amazing chemistry, and I buy their quick relationship.  Hiddleston who is also a newcomer does a great job playing the mischievous Loki is great and one of the best jobs they have not only with casting a villain but getting the character spot on.

As Marvel works to continue to build up to The Avengers I am getting more and more excited about the build and the potential to create a great story.    The rumors I have heard range from Loki controlling the Hulk like in the original Avengers comic to using the Skrull.  I am pleased that comic book films get the attention they do and I hope Thor gets a sequel that continues this quality.

No comments: