Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Movies that Center on Weddings

Tomorrow I am heading to Manhattan  to spend time with friends then I am off to Port Washington to stay with my friend Lauren, then off to a wedding in Riverhead to watch my friends Tara Daverna and Brian.  I met Tara her first semester of college at CW Post and we have been friends ever since.  I am so excited to watch these people get married, and it of course made me think about some of the great films that involved weddings.

My personal favorite movie that involves a wedding is My Best Friend's Wedding (1997) which starred Julia Roberts, Dermot Mulroney, Cameron Diaz, and Ruper Evertt.  Julia Roberts plays a food critic who realizes she loves her best friend (Mulroney) and decides she wants to break up his wedding.  This is one of the few movies where I find Cameron Diaz bearable, and Rupert Everett is hilarious.  This film has so much charm, and is incredibly endearing.

Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant rekindle their love as James Stewart and Ruth Hussey look on in a scene from the film 'The Philadelphia Story',
My next favorite movie about a wedding is The Philadelphia Story (1940) with the greats Katherine Hepburn, Jimmy Stewart, and of course Cary Grant.  Hepburn plays Tracy Lord who is about to get remarried, but her ex-husband (Grant) and a tabloid writer (Stewart) show up.  This is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen.  The wedding itself has a central role in making Hepburn's character grow and deliver one of her best roles.

There is of course My Big Fat Greek Wedding, Wedding Crashers, and even The Hangover centers around a wedding, but the above two are my favorite.  I am excited watch my friend Tara walk down the aisle, and hopefully her day will be amazing!

No comments: