Friday, June 7, 2013

Tony Award Predictions: Pippin will Dominate the Night!

While i have some time, and before Philadelphia Pride (where I am at the moment) kicks off, I have to lock in my predictions for this year's Tony winners.  My Tony predictions will have little to no explanation.  I am not as much of an expert, and did not follow this season much.  With that said I have been reading up on precursors, and the yearly New York Times article, which polls some voters, and I think my hunches are on the money.

The Tony Awards rarely have upsets, but it looks like there may be a few this year, many are predicting Matilda in Best Musical, while my hunch is to go with Kinky Boots.  Best Actress in a Musical started out as all about Patina Miller in Pippin, but I think Laura Osnes from Roger's & Hammerstein's Cinderella has the edge.  Here is the thing, most of these winners that I have hunches on, are not exactly upsets they are often in the number two spot, so it would not be that odd.  Many of these categories have a couple contenders so it could be an interesting night!

Best Musical: Kinky Boots
Best Musical Revival: Pippin
Best Play: Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike
Best Play Revival: Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
Best Direction in a Musical: Pippin
Best Direction in a Play: Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike
Best Musical Book: Matilda
Best Musical Score: Kinky Boots
Best Actor in a Play-Tom Hanks-Lucky Guy
Best Actor in a Musical Billy Porter-Kinky Boots
Best Actress in a Play: Cicely Tyson-Trip to the Bountiful
Best Actress in a Musical Laura Osnes-Roger's & Hammerstein's Cinderella
Best Featured Actor in a Play: Danny Burstein-Golden Boy
Best Featured Actor in a Musical-Terrance Mann-Pippin
Best Featured Actress in a Play-Judith Light-The Assembled Parties
Best Featured Actress in a Musical-Andrea Martin-Pippin
Best Choreography: Pippin

No comments: