Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Halloween with a little Hocus Pocus

After a long and draining week on duty I need an upper, and there is no better Halloween movie than Hocus Pocus, to help cheer me up.  Hocus Pocus is the first film I ever saw twice in the movie theatres.  Hocus Pocus was also the first film my grandparents took me to see.  My grandparents took my cousin and I, but in true Dillon fashion we arrive more than an hour early for the movie.  To kill time my grandparents bought us ice cream.  When we got into the theatre my cousin and I asked for popcorn and candy (of course), and my grandparents bought it for us.  By the time the movie ended it was time for dinner, so of course they needed to feed us, and where did we go, Pizza Hut.  Needless to say I have never been so sick in my life.  Yet Hocus Pocus is still one of my favorite Halloween films of all time!

Last year I went to Salem for the first time, where the film was set, and I love the history behind the town, but I always think the lore of witches is so interesting.  In this Disney story three witches set a curse that they would return when a virgin lit a candle.  Sounds a little racy that Disney even brought up that people have sex, but it happened.

The films pinnacle moment is when Bette Midler (Winifred), Kathy Najimy (Mary), and Sarah Jessica Parker (Sarah) do their version of "I Put a Spell on You,"  One of the most fun films from my childhood.  Happy Halloween!


No comments: