Tuesday, August 30, 2011

September Movies: What to Watch and what you Should Avoid

Well I was so busy this August, and did not get to the movies that often.  I still have to see The Help (to see all the the hype) but that was one of the few movies that had caught my attention this past August.  Now that August is coming to an end it's time to take a look at September's new releases, and how they measure up.

August and September are usually dud months with filler films.  For some reason executives will place films to be released during this time where the either know they can capitlize on the slower box office, or they don't trust their marketing strategy.  Here's a tip, people like good movies all year round.

September 2nd: One big skip!  Films Being Released: The Debt, Shark Night 3D, and Apollo 18

I am glad I have new student move-in this weekend.  This weekend is also Labor Day weekend, and the movies should not be on your agenda.  Helen Mirren's The Debt has the most potential, but not a film I am dying to see.  The Debt is being released on August 31.  Then there are two more gems Shark Night 3D and Apollo 18 which both look like some of the worst films being released this year.  Enjoy the sun (if you have it) and for my fellow east coasters, enjoy a weekend without Irene!

My Advice: Stay at Home and BBQ or Head to your local beach



September 9th: Oh the Possibilities Films being released: Contagion and Warrior

After a terrible start September could bounce with two films that have the potential to be good.Soderbergh's Contagion boasts another all star cast with his film about a airborne virus that rapidly spreads throughout the world.  I think this will be a solid film.  Warrior looks kinda been there done that.  The preview has not appeared to make the movie look special to me, but this could be quality and of the two major releases this week, this film has more potential to be bigger at the box office.

My Advice: Contagion (right now)



September 16th: The Year of Ryan Gosling! Films being released: Drive, I Don't Know How She Does it, Straw Dogs, and Restless.

Ryan Gosling is on fire this year; he had a great role in the film Crazy, Stupid, Love and now his film being released this week in September looks pretty amazing.  Nicholas Winding Refn the the director of drive won the Best Director award at Cannes, and I am sold after watching this preview that this is my most anticpated film being released in September.Straw Dogs is a remake that should never have happened.  I Don't Know How She Does It?....yea I really don't know how Sarah Jessica Parker keeps picking these awful films.  Restless has great young stars to watch out (it only opens in NY and LA this weekend) but with director Gus Van Sant at the helm, this could be one of the small films that is a tiny gem.

My Advice: Drive (Pick of the month)



September 23rd: Hmmm? Films being released: Moneyball, and Abduction

Moneyball will be a clear box office hit for Brad Pitt it combines baseball and Brad Pitt.  I am not sure if I am going to waste my time with another hokey sports film, but this one looks different.  The there is Abduction (key word ab).  Taylor Lautner is doing his first post Twilight film, will he flop like Robert Pattinson's films have?  My survey says yes.  Taylor is pretty to look at, and so I think I will just look at him on the cover of a magazine instead of paying ten dollars to see his abs.

My Advice: See Drive again...or Moneyball (if it ends up being good)



September 30th: 50/50-Your Chances of seeing a Good Film.  Films being released: 50/50, Dream House, What's Your Number?, and Margaret.

The film 50/50 has one of my favorite actors, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and I think this could be the movie to see this weekend, sure it looks like Funny People (which was awful, and both have Seth Rogen), but I think this looks better.  Dream House looks like a version Amityville Horror, but with talented actors and a good director.  I think Anna Farris is funny, but What's Your Number looks like a loser.  Margaret, is Kenneth Lonnergan's follow up to You Can Count on Me, a film that has been delayed a long time.  The premise of following a girl (Anna Paquin) after he dealings with a traffic accident and how it affects her could potentially be great.

My Advice: 50/50...the odds are the same as the name of the film.

No comments: