Saturday, August 27, 2011

"No Time, there's Never Any Time": A Tribute to Jessie Spano, Saved By the Bell and Stress

A few weeks ago (back when I had some free time in my life) I watched the episdoe of Saved by the Bell (1989-1993) when Jessie Spano was trying ace geometry so she could get into Stanford.  In order to stay awake Jessie got addicted to caffeine,and  drank copious amounts of coffee in order to do well in class, do student council, and perform in one of the worst music videos ever with Kelly and Lisa (sorry the video is bad but it had to be put in here!)



In the past of I have mocked this show for going the "Full House" or "7th Heaven" route by using caffeine pills as a metaphor for being addicted to harder drugs, but maybe this show had it right (don't judge).  I now know how Jessie actually feels.  I am in the middle of one of the busiest times in my current job as a Resident Director, new student move-in.  I am always excited for new students and my RA staff to move-in but there is an added stress in making sure that everything gets done in order to make everyone happy on all levels.  I have found myself drinking more coffee and caffeine than ever before.  Do I need an intervention, probably not. Stress happens, but managing that stress and finding balance is important....thanks Saved the Bell.

I love that television shows and movies go deeper into drug issues, like getting addicted to cough medicine, weeds, cocaine etc. but sometimes we miss the obvious stress in our life.  I like to take a step back and realize I have people on my side who want me to succeed. I am gratful I have people who call and check up on me, and people who truly care about me. 

Saved by the Bell is beyond over the top with their acting, and I love it Elizabeth Berkley who played Jessie was just so melodramatic and made this issue something that made me think so much deeper (I mean I'm writing about it write now).  The clip below is possibly one of my favorite bad/hilarious moments in television history, and I have to say "I am so excited ...I'm so so scared."  I am laughing typing that.   Tonight I am going to be the anti-Jessie.  I am going to take time for myself, relax and realize I cannot solve all my problems or prevent things from happening.

No comments: