Tuesday, April 2, 2013

April Movies to See and Skip

March was another month filled with some tremendous duds, see my last post entitled "Where have all the good movies gone (this winter)."  Admission is the only film I saw, and if you could tell the way I knew from the trailer, this film was a bit of a dud.  March 21 is the first day of Spring and one would hope that with the bloom of new life, there would be a birth of new quality films on the horizon, but I am not sure we should cheer with excitement.

April 5th 
Evil Dead 
Jurassic Park 3D
Trance

I am one of the few people who is not in love with the original Evil Dead series, although I admire Raimi's work.  There are many fans who are split on the fact that this film is getting re-made.  So far decent reviews although this could go down as a did they really need to do this?

Jurassic Park in 3D could be a lot of fun, the film is 20 years old, which is crazy.  I may have to get in on this experience.  Smart film to do with 3D.

Trance looks to be the the first Danny Boyle to miss the mark in a long time, you can thank the screen writer who also wrote The Beach.



April 12th 
Oblivion
42
Scary Movie V
To the Wonder

Oblivion looks like every single other sci-fi futuristic, post apocalyptic film this year, and that is not a complement.

42 has a lot of strong potential, and I like that they have an unknown in the role of Robinson, yet I still have Red Tales on my mind so this could be a big miss, I just hope not.

Scary Movie V with Lindsey Lohan and Charlie Sheen, that's all I have to say....

Malick is a love or hate kinda guy, but the Wonder trailer is beautiful, and I look forward to this film, the score, and the way it's shot.  This film looks excellent. 



April 19th 
The Lords of Salem

Oh great one film being released and its directed by Rob Zombie, NEXT!

April 26th 
Pain & Gain
The Big Wedding
Mud

Michael Bay is back with Pain & Gain, and it looks like there much more pain than gain (see what I did there).

The Big Wedding has one of the worst titles I have ever seen, Shockingly this film is not about a funeral, but a big wedding with too much of the same old romantic comedy plotting shoved down our throats.

Mud proves McConaughey is in top form, and he is showing his true acting chops.  Nichols film Take Shelter is one of my favorite of the decade.  I am excited to see Witherspoon go back to her indie roots, and show her cool factor once again.


See it: Jurassic Park 3D, 42, To the Wonder, Mud
Skip: Pain & Gain, The Big Wedding, Scary Movie V, The Lords of Salem

No comments: