Friday, March 30, 2012

Happy First Anniversary (Belated)

While waiting around I realized I had been writing this for one year on March 20th.  With work being, and attending a work conference like a bad husband in TV or film I forgot my own anniversary.

One year ago I wrote these words "Welcome to my new blog!  This focuses on the film industry and the role it plays it not only shaping the landscape of history, but in shaping our culture.  Many of you may think of me as a film snob or an elitest, but I enjoy well made well written films.  When I spend my money I want to know the producers, directors, cast put the time, effort and energy to make quality material. (Just wanted to put in Warning)"  

For those of you who read my blog regularly you have seen that my postings have evolved, and I do not just talk about film, but talk about television, and music.  Like with all writers the work evolves, and with one year under my belt I am sure further changes will occur.

If I were writing this blog now I would write my posts are meant to focus on popular culture, with reviews, commentary and critical analysis of race, sexual orientation within different mediums, award show results, predictions, and commentary, and honestly much more.  When I started this one year ago I did this as a result of an assignment in graduate school.  I now write for the sake of my own sanity to discuss an area of passion in my everyday life.

Where will things go next?  More about comic books/graphic novels, and books.  This is the year of presidential election, and I imagine politics will creep into some of my posts.  There will be more of the same talking about films being released in the month, writing about classic television shows, and my adventures in music exploration.

This has been an interesting year, and I have to share my appreciation and gratitude first and foremost to the people who read my posts.  Those who read this have shared how much they either enjoy or disagree with me (quite strongly), and I appreciate both.  I write not just for myself, but for people to share in a dialogue about popular culture.

I also have to thank the inspiration for the title of this, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.  The team who put this film together from the director to the composer, put together a beautifully crafter film that creates an emotional experience in me every time that is unlike any other film.  To close my anniversary post I am going to post a quote from Alexander Pope that the film uses:

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot!
                                                 The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd
Remember popular culture can have a much deeper impact than we realize.  I hope within the next year  I take things to the next level and challenge myself to make people think about the various aspects of popular culture on a deeper level.  Thank you for a great firs year!

No comments: