Friday, March 18, 2011

Welcome to Eternal Thoughts of Kevin's Mind

Welcome to my new blog!  This focuses on the film industry and the role it plays it not only shaping the landscape of history, but in shaping our culture.  Many of you may think of me as a film snob or an elitest, but I enjoy well made well written films.  When I spend my money I want to know the producers, directors, cast put the time, effort and energy to make quality material. (Just wanted to put in Warning)

My blog title was inspired by my favorite film of all time Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. If you haven't seen this movie yet-then we probably should not be friends.  But for your own sake I will give you a quick summary of the film in order to get you caught up to speed.  Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is about two characters Clementine Kruczynski (Kate Winslet) and Joel Barish (Jim Carrey) who both go to Dr. Howard Mierzwiak (Tom Wilkinson) to erase the relationship they had.  The movie focuses on Joel (Carrey) erasing Clementine from his mind.  The main question of the film is without spoiling much is can you ever erase a relationship from your mind, or is it there forever.


I would like to erase  the last two months of major studio releases from my mind..  January and Februar are the months when there is a lag in the production of "great" films, but this often one or two films that excites fans, gets people in the theatres, and tells a good story.  These films have not existed.  I currently live in Bowling Green, Ohio and on Tuesday and Thursday I can see a film for $2.75, but I have not wanted to waste my time sitting through something that is cheaper than a rental at blockbuster.  Did Big Momma's House really need to become a trilogy?


Back to Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, this film represents film perfection within the 2000s.  Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was released on March 19th, 2004 (according to imdb.com) and there is no film on the horizen within the first sixth months of the year that will bring viewers a quality film experience.  So few films are made with actual heart and depth.  The movie takes a realistic look at relationships and does not sugar coat the difficulties of falling in love and the complications that come with developing a relationship.  No Strings Attached was close as we will get to a successful relationship film, but there is comparison to the quality.

As we survive the drought of the first few months of the mainstream desert in the film industry watching Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind reminded me that there is hope out there, and that award season will come around once again, and bring quality films. I close with the great line from Kate Winslet in the film "Meet me in Montauk."

1 comment:

pookey66 said...

Of course there are other reasons why the box office is dropping, but the boom in foreign box office is a great boost for films.

With the technologies we have now, and the focus on home entertainment, such as DVD, BlueRay, VOD, PPV, home theatre, gaming, etc, people arent as likely to fill theatre seats as much now, irrespective of the overall quality of films, which, I think are still very very good.

Glad you liked Rango btw. So did I!